TENNESSEE SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF
EDUCATIONAL RESOURCE CENTER FOR THE HEARING IMPAIRED
2725 Island Home Boulevard
Knoxville, Tennessee 37920
The secretary is under the immediate supervision of the Director of Student Life at the Tennessee School for the Deaf.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The secretary performs the following duties and responsibilities:
- Routine typing as assigned.
- A variety of routine clerical operations such as filing, opening and
distributing the mail, ordering supplies, answering phone, making
appointments, keeping routine time and attendance records.
- Operates and/or utilizes office machines/equipment, such as calculator, copy machine,
computer and videophone.
- Interpreting and voicing for the Director of Student Life in various
- May be required to mentor a TSD student in the TSD Work Based
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Student Life.
- Regular Education Diploma
- Good knowledge of standard business English and some knowledge of standard office practices
and procedures required.
- Skill in expressive and receptive sign language required; however, preference is given to
the candidate possessing post-secondary training in Interpreting, Deaf Education, and /or
- Training in Office Management preferred, but not required.
- Excellent Math skills are essential.
- Computer skills in Word and Excel.
The applicant selected for this position will be fingerprinted and required to have TBI/FBI background check. In addition, background checks will be conducted through the TN Registry of Sexual Offenders, the TN Registry of Abuses, and the TN Child Protective Services Background Check.
SALARY:: Beginning $1,789 – $2,862 per month (12-month position). The State makes available to the employee: medical insurance, retirement (401k availability), annual leave, and sick leave.
Applications should be sent to:
Scott Skelton, Director of Student Life
Tennessee School for the Deaf
2725 Island Home Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37920
(865) 978-6022 (VRS/VP)
The Tennessee School for the Deaf is an equal opportunity, equal access, affirmative action employer.