TENNESSEE SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF
EDUCATIONAL RESOURCE CENTER FOR THE HEARING IMPAIRED
2725 Island Home Boulevard
Knoxville, Tennessee 37920
Building Maintenance Worker 2
Under general supervision, is responsible for semi-skilled and skilled building maintenance work of considerable difficulty; and performs related work as required.
An employee in this class performs a variety of tasks including: painting, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, masonry, and general mechanical repair work. This class differs from that of Building Maintenance Worker 1 in that an incumbent of the latter works under immediate supervision and performs unskilled and semi-skilled building maintenance work. This class differs from that of Building Maintenance Worker 3 in that an incumbent of the latter is a lead worker.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs a variety of carpentry tasks in the construction and maintenance of buildings.
- Installs and repairs electrical outlets, circuits, switches, fans, and lighting fixtures.
- Installs and repairs plumbing fixtures, water and drainage lines, and sewage disposal fields and plants.
- Paints and decorates interiors and exteriors of buildings.
- Makes repairs and adjustments to laundry, heating, refrigeration, and air conditioning units.
- Operates and utilizes a wide variety of tools and equipment such as assorted hand tools, table saws, skill saws, hand drills, drill presses, pipe cutters, pipe threaders, welding torches, cutting torches, and voltage testers; may operate a pick-up truck or other vehicle in getting to and from the job.
- May keep simple records and make routine reports such as time expended and materials used.
- As part of your duties, you may be required to mentor a TSD student in the TSD Work Based Learning Program.
Experience equivalent to three years of full-time increasingly skilled labor and trade work including, at least, two years in building maintenance work. Certification in electrical is preferred but not required. Must have a valid Tenn. Driver’s License. Applicant must become proficient in sign language at the level established for this position within the Tennessee School for the Deaf Sign Communication Program as demonstrated by an appropriate assessment tool. Training will be provided. In addition, background checks will be conducted through the Tenn. Registry of Sexual Offenders, the Tenn. Registry of Abuses, and the Tenn. Child Protective Services Background Check.
SALARY: : $1,949 - $3,117 per month. This is a 12 month position. The State makes available to the employee: medical insurance, retirement (401K availability), annual leave, and sick leave.
APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE SENT TO:
Tennessee School for the Deaf
2725 Island Home Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37920
The Tennessee School for the Deaf is an equal opportunity, equal access, affirmative action employer.